The Master of Information Systems Management (MISM) program was developed from the ground up as a blended business-technology program. Through our program, students will develop better planning, management and technical abilities that focus on the application of technology to create business value.
Unique Features & Benefits
- Top Ranked: US News & World Report ranks CMU’s Heinz College as the #1 graduate school in Information & Technology and Management.
- Exceptional Career Outcomes: Our robust recruiting ecosystem provides career opportunities in Silicon Valley, New York City, and everything in-between. We also have a exceptional reputation amongst our alumni members as well as with corporate recruiters in industries such as consulting, technology, and banking.
- Quantitative management and technology: Our information systems courses offer a unique blend of technology, management, and strategy.
- Experiential learning: We provide opportunities with global organizations to apply IT/business leadership skills in projects, clubs, discussions, and competitions.
- Multiple Options: Students will find several opportunities to pursue a MISM degree at Heinz College:
- Our flagship MISM degree is an accelerated, three-semester, 16-month program that includes significant experiential learning, including a summer internship.
- Our MISM-Business Intelligence and Data Analytics (BIDA) program provides IT management training along with cutting edge business analytics techniques and practices.
- Students with more than three years of professional work experience can forgo the internship and complete the MISM degree in one calendar year.
- Our Global MISM four-semester program offers a once in a lifetime year in Adelaide, Australia and 2nd year in our main campus in Pittsburgh. Compared with the other three MISM programs, Global MISM provides a chance to take more electives or a lighter course load.
- Access to other CMU Schools: Our curriculum gives the students an option to take courses at CMU’s highly ranked School of Computer Science and the Tepper School of Business.
The Master of Information Systems Management degree program is a pragmatic, problem-solving oriented program that combines information technology practices with business practices. Through our program, you’ll develop better planning, management and technical abilities necessary for leading a thriving organization in today’s complex, digital world.
For applicants with over three years of professional work experience, the one-year, May to May program is designed to position you for a fast-track career as a business technologist. This extensive three semester program is professionally focused with the end-game being a superior job placement in “corporate America.”
The MISM degree requires you to demonstrate proficiency in technology management, IT Strategy, and fundamental business skills.
MISM One-Year Track Degree Requirements
- 180 units of coursework which is the equivalent of 15 semester-length courses are to be completed in three semesters.
- A team-based project course in your area of interest with an external client.
- An overall grade point average of 3.0.
MISM One-Year Track Course Requirements
The required courses are designed to build core competencies in integrating technology management with business expertise with courses ranging from Economic for IT to Object Oriented Programming in Java. As a student in the MISM program, you also have the flexibility to choose from a range of challenging elective courses designed to help you excel in an increasingly digital world.
Students in the one-year, 16-month and 21-month track complete the same course requirements.
Students with less than three years of work experience will need to apply to the 16-Month track and complete the degree requirements with three semesters of coursework and a summer internship. Students in this track begin the program at the end of August and complete the program in December extending the program to sixteen months.
Which version of MISM is best for you?
The fast-paced 12-month track (May to May) is for students with over three years professional work experience prior to the start of the program. 100% of our admitted students to the one-year track have relevant work experience and all have a passion for the application of technology in business. The one-year, May to May track is designed to position you for a fast-track career as a business technologist.
The 16-month track is for applicants who will have less than three years of professional work experience at the start of the program. Students with less than three years of work experience at the start of the program perform a summer internship and complete the program in 16 months (mid- August through the following December).Over 60% of our admitted students in the 16-month track have relevant work experience. .
Global MISM 21-Month Track
The MISM program offers a 4-semester program for students who want a global perspective infused in their MISM experience. The 21-month track offers students the chance to spend their first two semesters of study at Heinz’s Adelaide campus, complete a summer internship (in Australia or the student’s home country), and study for their final two semesters at our Pittsburgh campus. Over 70% of our admitted students in the 21-month track have relevant work experience.
MISM Degree with Concentration in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics (BIDA)
The MISM program offers a 3-semester (16-month) option for students who want to focus their studies on predictive modeling, GIS mapping, analytical reporting, segmentation analysis, and data visualization. Over 70% of our admitted students in the BIDA concentration have relevant work experience
Class size 296
Average GPA 3.5
50% of students have GMAT scores between 660-720, GRE verbal between 151-158 and GRE quantitative between 161-167